Real Talk: How To Justify Splurges
It's funny how I will agonize over buying a five dollar box of tampons at the store, but will be completely fine with dropping $100 on a dress that I want... but don't actually need. (It was so cute, okay!?)
Money is a relative concept... especially when it comes to my spending habits. I feel like the critical threshold is $100.. it just feels like money isn't real after that point.
I CAN ALWAYS SEND IT BACK! LET ME LIVE!
Sometimes the purchases make sense, like my Hello Fresh subscription, which keeps me from eating containers of pimento cheese in bed (which, incidentally, means that I no longer have will to my partner why there are cracker crumbs in the sheets). Other times they don't make a whole hell of a lot of sense... like my compulsion to buy $80 throw pillows from Lulu & Georgia (they were so cute.. look how cute, Snugs is laying on it in the cover picture).
These are real things that I have agonized over... or bought in the time that it takes you to say "is this a good idea?"
- $2: Magic eraser - do I really need to take these long dark scratches off my walls? I could spend that two dollars on much better things.
- $15 bottle of wine - I mean there's a cheaper one... and to be honest my palate isn't developed. I could pretend I didn't drink Barefoot out of a bottle with a straw in college, but that would be a lie.
- $23: It's a Ten shampoo- damn it I can't believe I am so addicted to this hair product. I have to have it. But.. do I really? I mean my hair was fine with cheaper product before.... but maybe not this shiny? Fuck.
- $275 Lease on Subaru Crosstrek - Had to have it.
- $500 Madewell leather jacket - LISTEN I'VE BEEN WANTING A LEATHER JACKET FOREVER OKAY? AND THIS ONE ZIPS OVER MY BOOBS. I CAN'T POSIBLY NOT GET IT. IM GETTING IT. OK... I GOT IT.
- $1,000 a trip to Cuba - IT'S CUBA PEOPLE! I NEED TO LEARN ABOUT IT. I HAVE TO. IT'S NECESSARY. PLUS, IT'S MY BIRTHDAY.